Friday, May 29, 2009

Skippy Truffle Cookies


I love this recipe, I found it in the back of the cupboard, cut out of a newspaper or something. Here it is, and I'll revise it further down:

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup
brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large
egg
1 teaspoon
baking soda
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1: Oven - 350

2: Mix all of the ingredients, with the chocolate chips last.

3: Use an ungreased baking sheet. Scoop into slightly rounded teaspoon fulls.

4: Bake 9 minutes.

Supposedly makes 4.5 dozen very small cookies.

They turn out puffy for me every time, which I love!

That's a pretty good recipe, and it's nice because it's gluten free. I was in charge of making some cookies for an event, and so I didn't want to play with the recipe too much. But I did just a little bit. I decided to experiment with stevia. Stevia has a distinctive flavor, so I didn't want to use it as the only sweetener. So I halved the brown sugar, and added a 1/2 teaspoon of green leaf stevia powder (I find it cheap at a place called Good Earth Natural Foods my LHFS) plus some white flour to make up for lost volume. Anyways, unfortunately they were a hit, and they were all eaten.

The next time I make them for me and my family, I'm going to play with it even more. Here's what the new recipe will look like.

-1 cup natural peanut butter - you can probably find a machine where it turns peanuts into peanut butter before your very eyes, for a better price then any peanut butter in the store. At least in my case. If after you've mixed it all together, it doesn't seem the right consistancy, then add some (preferably organic and grass fed) butter or coconut oil. Since we aren't using creamy peanut butter full of hydrogenated vegetable oils, it might be less creamy.
-1/2 cup sucanat - it's a good replacement for brown sugar
-1/2 teaspoon green stevia powder - it's the most natural form of stevia
-1/2 cup flour - when I try it, I'm going to use soaked, freshly ground whole wheat flour, but the first time I did it I used white flour, just be safe. Freshly ground flour it supposed to have high phytase levels. You could also try coconut flour or something to keep it gluten/wheat free, which would be great. I'll probably be experimenting with this one.
-1 large egg - preferably pasture raised.
-1 teaspoon baking soda.
-1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips - try to find organic, or else it might very well be GMO.

Then follow the directions above and enjoy!!!


THIS POST IS PART OF FIGHT BACK FRIDAY, a new one TEMPT MY TUMMY TUESDAY!!! AND REAL FOOD WEDNESDAY!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to see people experimenting with making recipes healthier.

Thanks for sharing this in Fight Back Fridays!

Cheers,
KristenM
(AKA FoodRenegade)

Mary Ellen said...

Yum! When I get in a cookie mood, I usually whip up this Flourless Nut Butter recipe from the Nourishing Gourmet. No soaking needed!

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/08/flourless-nut-butter-cookies.html

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hi Kyle. Welcome to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. Glad you found us. I love cookies. Thanks for the great recipe. I hope you will join us again... ANYTIME!

Kyle said...

KristenM - No problem, I missed last week, dang it.

Mary Ellen - Thanks for the recipe! I'll have to add it to my list or recipes to try. Sometimes it's really convenient when you don't have to soak things.

Lisa - Thank you, there were some great recipes there!